Dear DNC Women's Caucus Member,
Please find a message from DNC Women's Caucus Chair Lottie Shackelford & Women's Political Director Taylor Barnes, below.
Democratic National Committee
Dear Women’s Caucus Members,
Welcome to one of my favorite months of the year - Women’s History Month! And this week is even more special, as we mark International Women’s Day this Saturday. While we haven’t broken that highest and hardest glass ceiling, there are incredible Democrats running up and down the ticket, and we are continuing to work hard building the infrastructure for the eventual Democratic nominee.
As I write to you today, I reflect upon how much progress we’ve made in my lifetime alone. In 2018e, we elected more women than ever before to Congress and managed to win back the Speaker’s gavel for Nancy Pelosi. We’re now at a place where universal childcare is a part of many candidates’ platforms. And reproductive rights are considered health care, as they should be. But I’m also reminded of how far we have to go. The pay gap persists and is far worse for women of color. Black maternal mortality is still a crisis. And worst of all, a misogynist is still in the White House. But -- this is why our work is so important and why I am so proud to fight alongside you all today. So in honor of International Women’s Day, let’s spread the message of collective action. Here are five ways the women in your life can help push for progress:
- Check their voter registration (or register)! Your vote is your voice and it’s going to be critical you can use it in November. Check your registration (or register) at IWillVote.com.
- Sign up for Women’s Organizing Updates: We want to make sure you are in the loop on organizing opportunities and know how to take action all year long. Sign up here for our Women for the Win newsletter.
- Encourage a woman to run for office (or decide to yourself!): We can change the face of leadership. Nominate a woman you know with She Should Run, and if you know you want to run yourself, EMILY’s List, Emerge America, and Higher Heights have incredible training workshops and networks.
- Sign Up to Volunteer: Depending on where you live, there are races up and down the ticket that could use your help - including registering more voters! See what opportunities there are here.
- Text READY to 43367 for updates: Make sure you stay on top of breaking Democratic news by being on our SMS list! Just ready READY to the number 43367 and you’ll be signed up.
Thank you for all your hard work on behalf of democracy. We hope you have a great rest of your Women’s History Month!
Lottie Shackleford and Taylor Barnes