“Personal Postcards to Potential Voters” is a new Democrats Abroad Get-Out-The-Vote campaign for the 2020 election that anyone can do at home! This simple, direct action campaign empowers a DA volunteer to easily reach out to other Democratic potential voters to motivate them to register, request their ballot and vote. The DA member receiving the postcard will especially appreciate the personal message in these difficult times and will be able to quickly go to VoteFromAbroad.org to be sure that their voice will be heard.
How does it work?
DA volunteers write a brief, personal message on a postcard that has printed inspirational line art and lettering that is easy for them to color. Americans should write the message, but anyone of any age or nationality can color. All materials necessary to quickly start the campaign are available for downloading below. Printing and postage is paid for by each Country Committee. Postcards are collected in one location for central checking, addressing, stamping and mailing within each country. (Only a few central volunteers with confidentiality training in each country handle name and address data, which will be supplied by DA Global.)
Postcards prepared by DA members will be sent to:
Democrats Abroad members who vote in these battleground states:
AZ, CO, FL, GA, MI, MN, MT, NC, OH, PA, and WI
Democrats Abroad members on no-email and/or no-phone lists
Democrats living abroad identified through battleground state voter registration list
Person-to-person communication is the most effective way to influence behavior. A hand-colored and hand-written postcard is an empowering way to reach out to another individual voter, motivating them to register, request their ballot and vote. Wouldn't you feel great after producing a postcard that takes direct action to convince another Democrat to vote this year? Wouldn't you be intrigued and charmed if you opened your postbox to find a hand-made postcard? Wouldn't you pay attention to its simple message to encourage you to do something you do care about?
Only a third of Democrats Abroad members actually vote and less than 10% of American voters abroad overall vote.
If we can get more of our Democratic voters abroad to vote, we could be the margin of victory in 2020!
What does this cost?
Printing black line art and text on white postcards is quite inexpensive. Postage is more expensive and, of course, depends on postal rates in your country. However, people will likely respond well to fundraising appeals for postage because of the direct connection between their donation and the number of voters who will pull a personal postcard out of their mailboxes and be motivated to vote. People see a direct result and have a direct, personal impact when they donate.
Start writing and coloring postcards immediately! The few central collection point volunteers in each country will check, affix name and address labels and stamp all the postcards sent within their country. Mailing will take place as determined by DA Global for maximum impact. Expect to mail by the first of September at the latest, depending on specifics of national holiday schedules. Please have all postcards ready by mid-summer at the latest in case of last minute issues. Mailing late could be too late to have an impact. Please be ready early.
Based on our experience in Germany, a handful of people can easily do a couple hundred postcards and a dozen or so people can do 500 or more. One or two people can do 25 in a day! Check how many DA members you have in the categories above. You can do this!
Add postcarding easily to any (virtual or in-person) event or have postcard parties with Zoom or Webex or other platform. Everyone can bring their own beverage and talk together while they color beautiful postcards that they can show each other. Color alone or recruit family, friends and neighbors. Only Americans should write messages and only Americans can contribute for postage. However, anyone of any age can color! We can do this!
Where can I find out more? How can I start this campaign in my country?
To start postcarding in your country or for more information, please contact: Irisita Azary, Chair, Personal Postcards to Potential Voters, by clicking HERE for a Google Form. All the materials you need are in files listed in the section below. Please let me know if you are interested so we can keep in touch and update each other on the progress of our campaign.
This is the fight of our lives.
This is not a normal election.
It is a crisis and we have to act like it is a crisis.
I know you care deeply or you wouldn’t be reading this.
Together we can turn our deep caring into action.
We can win this!
~ COLORING FOR DEMOCRACY! ~
Please click HERE to contact Irisita Azary, Chair, Personal Postcards to Potential Voters
- Support your members by offering a calming, creative and empowering Get-Out-The-Vote activity they can do at home!
- Write one card first thing in the morning and in 5 – 10 minutes you have fought Trump already that day! Feel ready to take on the world!
- Color to music; Color with kids, family, friends, neighbors using FaceTime, Skype or other platform; Color to wind down before bed; Have a postcard party on Zoom or other platform.
- Chairs and Caucus leaders: Postcard writing is an inspirational and team-building activity to do at a (virtual or in-person) meeting or event. Take decisive action together.
- Write and color when the news makes you mad!
- Do 5 at once assembly-line style!
- Give yourself a boost! Feel the power of positive action!
Here are all the materials you need to quickly start your Personal Postcards to Potential Voters campaign:
• POSTCARD, FULL IMAGE SIDE: This is the PDF of the full image side of the postcard ready to print at A6 size. The image is black line art. I suggest 300 gr stock, recycled paper if possible. Lower weight paper would not stand up to the unusual amoung of handling involved in handing out, producing and collecting postcards before final posting.
(Ready to print A6 size; suggest 300gr, recycled paper)
• POSTCARD, ADDRESS SIDE: This is the PDF of the address side of the postcard ready to print at A6 size. The image is black line art and text. I suggest 300 gr stock, recycled paper if possible. Lower weight paper would not stand up to the unusual amoung of handling involved in handing out, producing and collecting postcards before final posting.
(Ready to print A6 size; suggest 300gr, recycled paper)
PLEASE GIVE AN INSTRUCTION SHEET TO EVERY PERSON WHO TAKES POSTCARDS!
• INSTRUCTION SHEET:
This is a one-sheet instruction sheet for producing a postcard that is ESSENTIAL for EVERYONE who will produce a postcard!
The instructions are simple. The goal of these postcards is to motivate Democrats to register, request their ballot and vote. We are not trying to convince people of issues or to vote for or against candidates. We are all Democrats, but your top issue could turn someone else off. We are making as personal a connection as we can to another member of our Democratic group. This is a global campaign sponsored by Democrats Abroad, so other types of messages can not be supported. For example, Democrats Abroad can not research and vett random hashtags or issues. All postcards must be checked before mailing for inappropriate content.
If you would like a Word file with arrows pointing to different parts of the postcard images, for clarity, please use the Google Form to request one. I can email a Word file as an attachment, but the limitations of the Wiki-Word interface prevented its use here.
Please customize with the name and address to which postcards should be mailed for central checking, addressing, stamping and posting. Please add an email address for questions about your country campaign. (Please adjust font size as needed to fit nicely on one page once the file downloads on your computer.)
Please also customize with instructions to contribute for postage costs or with the value of stamps (for your in-country postal rate) people could put on themselves if they wish. Be sure it is clear that this is voluntary. Some people may not be able to do this financially or logistically, but still can produce postcards.
• SIGN-UP SHEET: This is a sample A4 sign-up sheet for use at a meeting or event. If you would like a landscape-formatted sign-up sheet with lines for each person signing-up, please use the Google Form to request one. I can email a Word file as an attachment, but the limitations of the Wiki-Word interface prevented its use here.
• FUNDRAISING HANDOUT: This is an A4 sheet that can be cut into two identical halves. Each has the postcard image and a bit of fundraising text. Please customize for your country by adding in details of how you can receive donations for postage, for example bank transfer details. Please adjust spacing once the file downloads on your computer.
• SAMPLE SPREADSHEET TEMPLATE: This is a sample spreadsheet template for tracking who takes how many postcards, when they are returned, etc. I suggest you make a Google Spreadsheet for your country and customize it for your needs. For example, you could have a tab for each chapter and caucus.
• SCREEN SHOT OF DATABASE FILTER #1 TO USE: This is a screen shot of a filter to use in the DA database for your country to the identify Democrat Abroad addresses in your country that vote in battleground states.
• SCREEN SHOT OF DATABASE FILTER #2 TO USE: This is a screen shot of a filter to use in the DA database for your country to identify all Democrat Abroad addesses in your country that are on no-email and no-call lists.
Here is a PDF of a 10-minute Powerpoint presentation that could be useful to introduce the campaign to a group:
Here are some posters that might come in handy:
Once you print out a poster you can write in a message in the cloud area. Or photocopy the cloud area, print or write your message on the copy, and then trim and glue it to the poster. That makes one poster reusable multiple times for multiple events.
• This is a PDF of the black line art Postcard, main image side, A4 size
Users Managing this Space
- No labels