The March For Our Lives movement is an excellent chance to promote your local Youth Caucus, give younger members a chance to take a leading role, and engage younger potential new members, who may not otherwise be exposed to Dems Abroad. We understand and appreciate that March for Our Lives is nonpartisan, but much like the Women's March and other events, there are still opportunities to encourage Americans to commit to staying engaged through Democrats Abroad and Vote From Abroad. We hope that you will take advantage of these opportunities, but please use your best judgement.
The following resources may be helpful for your activities:
1. A global email will go encouraging members to find out if there is a local event to join and join the digital march. This will be similar to our vigil in the wake of Charlottesville. Consequently, please be sure you have added your event to the DA website ASAP, EVEN IF YOU HAVE POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK OR ELSEWHERE. To be sure it is added to the special event page on the website, (LINK) tag your event post in Nationbuilder #MFOL or email Comms@democratsabroad.org.
2. If your event is also posted on Facebook, we encourage you to add @DemsAbroad as a co-host so that it will appear on the events tab of the global Facebook page. Click here to learn how to do it.
3. You can also add your event to the March For Our Lives website (LINK).
4. Keep in mind the importance of youth presence and involvement for this movement. Ensure they are engaged and involved as integral leaders.
1. The March For Our Lives organizers are very eager to use this as an opportunity to drive voter registration and ballot requests. Even while keeping the events themselves nonpartisan, be sure to ask every American you meet if they have requested a ballot this year. Even better: collect names to follow up with after or help them request a ballot on the spot.
2. Review the guide to DA marches, demonstrations and vigils (LINK).
3, Connecting with students? These Study Abroad resources may help (LINK).
4. Read these suggestions on Adding Diversity to Your Events (LINK).
5. Check out our Chant and Sign Inspo (LINK).
6. Have sign-in and sign-up sheets to track interest and member activity.
1. Use this press release to promote your event to media. Be sure to revise with your local details (LINK).
2. Report any coverage afterward using this template (LINK).
3. Tips for Successful Media Pitches
4. Talking Points
5. Dems Abroad Statement
Democrats Abroad strongly supports common sense gun legislation. We deplore Congress' unwillingness to enact legislation that would protect the people of America.
Julia Bryan, International Chair of Democrats Abroad, states: "Sensible gun legislation is the norm in nearly all other developed countries, where leaders are not beholden to organizations like the NRA to fund their next political campaign. In Japan, death by firearm is as uncommon as death by lightning strike. In the United States, gun fire is as likely to kill our friends and family as a car accident. To accept this reality as the inevitable fallout of protecting the second amendment is to deny the rights our country was founded on - that all people are created equal and are endowed with certain unalienable rights: Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." (posted to website Feb 20, LINK)
Within the MFOL Design Resources (LINK), you will find:
Especially for those members who cannot attend a live event, we will be conducting a virtual march, similar to our actions around Charlottesville in 2017. We hope you'll join and encourage your members to do the same (LINK).
Discuss who will be posting on social media, and decide who will be leading social media and content creation (aka photography and video!). This can be tricky to do while you are also organizing an event without a plan in place ahead of time.
There are a LOT of hashtags around MFOL, but please include #DAResists in your social posts, and tag @DemsAbroad (on Instagram we're @Democratsabroad) if possible, so we can find your amazing content!
Check out our sample posts (LINK), sorted by category, and view the additional resources on Sheet 2. **Check back for updates throughout the week as we add to this already substantial list**
BEYOND THE MARCH
Call your Senators and Representatives to take urgent action (LINK).