Democratic Municipal Officials Digest
Week of 5/30/2017
Ideas for Cities
Messaging - DNC on Trump's Cruel Budget
Topline: Budgets are about priorities, and Trump’s first full budget submission makes clear that he puts the interests of the wealthy like those in his cabinet over working families. Trump’s plan makes massive cuts to Medicaid, college loans, public schools, middle and working class tax credits and more to fund his massive tax giveaway to the wealthy.
- Trump’s budget cuts hundreds of billions from Medicaid over the next 10 years.
- In addition to its massive Medicaid cuts, Trump’s budget attacks programs that support working families -- especially children -- including SNAP food stamps, benefits for the disabled, children’s health insurance, and even the child tax credit and earned-income tax credit.
- Trump’s budget guts programs that support the middle class and working families -- including millions of people who voted for him.
- Trump’s budget betrays working families, students, and teachers by cutting billions from public school funding and student loan support.
- Trump’s budget slashes critical funding for U.S. diplomacy and aid programs, reducing America’s ability to support peace abroad and in turn making us less safe at home.
- Democrats, on the other hand, are fighting for middle-out economic policies. Good jobs that pay good wages, paid family leave, world-class public education, and economic opportunity for all.
News for Democrats
- Resistance Summer - Connect your constituents to the DNC's summer of political engagement.
Pic of the Week
"Are you illegal?" A policeman's question to a Honduran who had just been run over by a car.