Tonight is the first opportunity for Joe Biden to debate Donald Trump, and we are going to be seeing two different visions for America. Trump, who sees the world from a “greed is good” version of Park Avenue and Joe Biden, who sees the world from his hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
We could not be more proud to work closely with the Biden Campaign to be a resource to you throughout the night. The Biden Campaign and the DNC War Room will have a rapid response team fact-checking the debate in real time.
Ahead of tonight’s debate in Cleveland, Biden for President and the DNC War Room have also launched a joint fact-checking account on Twitter to go after Trump’s lies. @Truth will provide viewers with real-time information debunking Trump’s lies so voters are well-informed of the facts.
In addition, we are continuing to take the fight for people’s lives directly to Trump. There will be driving billboards around the debate hall in Cleveland, Ohio, indicating the over 200,000 deaths in this country from the coronavirus with audio of Trump saying “he wanted to always play it down.” Also, the billboards will acknowledge what’s at stake if the Supreme Court overturns the Affordable Care Act. After the debate, there will be a light display with the phrase “Trump lied, 200,000+ died.” There will be constant reminders of Trump’s failure to lead, before, during and after the debate. Here are some:
Friday was the highest single-day increase in COVID in a month-and-a-half. New cases continue to increase across the country, including in almost half of states and Trump still hasn’t put forth a national plan.
Trump’s nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett puts at risk the 20 million people who could lose their health insurance and as many as 133 million Americans with preexisting conditions who will lose coverage protections. Trump's also been clear that he would only appoint justices who would overturn Roe v Wade.
And while hard working Americans played by the rules and paid federal income taxes, Trump paid $0 for years and only $750 in 2016 and 2017. Donald Trump paid far less in taxes than the average teacher, firefighter, or nurse.
During the debate, Joe Biden is going to be focused on speaking directly to the American people. He's going to talk about his plan to contain COVID-19 and to build our country back better. And, he’s going to talk about his plan to ensure working families and small businesses have a fair shot and make the super-wealthy and corporations pay their fair share. It will be the night when he will look Donald Trump directly in the eyes and hold him to account for failing our country in the midst of this pandemic. 200,000 Americans have paid with their lives and over 26 million are receiving unemployment assistance.
We are not just in the middle of a presidential election cycle, but people are voting now. Nearly one million people have already voted. The American people are making their voices heard. And as Joe Biden said, the American people should choose the president, and the next president should fill the Supreme Court nominee.
Tonight, Joe Biden will remind the country of why we cannot have another four years of this chaos. He will speak to these issues and speak directly to Americans who are worried and scared for their future, and tired of all the fighting and looking for a leader to bring Americans together. We need a change in leadership, and Joe Biden is the one to meet this moment.
Yours in the Fight,
P.S. We aren’t the only ones with Billboards holding Trump accountable in Cleveland.
Check these out in this Update:
DNC Debate Fact Check Toolkit (also see attached PDF for those who can’t access Google docs)5 ways to Amplify the Messaging for Tonight:Here are ways that you can help share information about Trump’s failed record, promote Vice President Biden’s platform, and support high voter turnout in your communities. PLEASE SHARE WIDELY!!!
- DNC Debate Fact Check Toolkit
- 5 Ways to Amplify Messaging
- FAQ’s for Watching Tonight’s Debate
- Social Media
- Follow the DNC War Room on Facebook and Twitter, and RT/QT us throughout the debate
- Follow Senator Kamala Harris @KamalaHarris and RT/QT her as she uplifts Vice President Biden’s remarks during the debate
- Follow and RT/QT the new Biden Harris @Truth Twitter account
- Check our CREATIVE FACT CHECK ASSETS folder throughout the night and post our visuals on your social media platforms
- Write from your own perspective! For example, when Trump lies about the coronavirus or says that he’s done a great job, talk about how his mismanagement of Covid19 has impacted your community or your life, or post articles on his failure to lead
- Use our hashtags: #TrumpLied200KDied, #HealthCareVoter, #ScrantonvsParkAve
- Message Your Constituents
After the debate, send an e-blast to your members and constituents with facts about Trump’s record on topics concerning your community. For example:
Subject: Correcting Trump’s Lies
This evening during the first presidential debate, Donald Trump said ______ about ______. This is false. This is the true record of the Trump administration:
[INSERT FACTS FROM BELOW]
We need a president with honesty and integrity, who is committed to help -not hurt- Americans. Vice President Biden proved that he has what it takes to lead us out of the mess Trump has made. Please make a plan to vote early. Visit iwillvote.com for information about how to safely vote in your state.
Note: iwillvote.com is the DNC voter resource. If you are a 501 c 3, you should promote a non political voter platform.
- Write an Op-Ed
After the debate, keep the pressure on Trump by penning an op-ed in your local paper about Trump’s lies, his failed COVID-19 response, and why you support Vice President Biden. Include facts about Trump’s record and the Vice President’s plans (talking points on both are below.)
- Promote Vice President Biden’s Record
In addition to fact-checking Trump’s lies, we want to elevate Vice President Biden’s record and his plan to lead America out of the darkness of the past 4 years. Reference the below messaging points on Joe Biden’s plan below.
FAQs on Watching the Debates:What time are the debates?
Reaching out to voters is the most important thing we can do to get out the vote in key battleground states. Sign up at joebiden.com/take-action to text, call, support voter protection efforts, or find events near you.
How can I watch the debates?
- It starts at 9 p.m. ET and will run 90 minutes without commercial interruption.
Who is the moderator?
- The debates will be shown live on channels including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and C-Span. You will also be able to stream the debate live on YouTube and various newspapers online.
What is the format of the debates?
- Fox News anchor Chris Wallace is the first presidential debate moderator.
Chris Wallace selected tonight’s 6 topics:
- “The nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates said in June that both the first and third presidential debates would be divided into six segments, each on topics to be selected by the moderator and announced at least one week before the debate.”
- The Trump and Biden records
- The Supreme Court
- The economy
- “Race and violence in cities” (**fully believe that this is problematic framing but these “topics” are chosen by the moderator)
- The integrity of the election