DEMOCRATS ABROAD PHILIPPINES
Adopted by the Membership on February 7, 2007
And as Amended by the Membership on 22 March, 2010
1. The undersigned hereby constitute an organization having as its name:
Democrats Abroad Philippines
Purpose and Relationship to Democrats Abroad
2.1 The organization shall apply for admittance to the Democratic Party Committee Abroad (the “DPCA”) as a Country Committee within Democrats Abroad.
2.2 The purposes of the organization shall be to advance the interests of the Democratic Party of the United States and of Democrats Abroad and to provide for appropriate action by its supporters residing in Philippines .
3.1 Members must be citizens of the United States , of voting age, who subscribe to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States and of Democrats Abroad and are resident in Philippines . A member who by her or his actions demonstrates that she or he no longer subscribes to the principles of the Democratic Party of the United States and of Democrats Abroad may be excluded from membership by a two-thirds vote of the members of the Executive Committee; provided however that such vote may only be taken after the member has been given reasonable notice of the Executive Committee’s intention to exclude the member and has had reasonable opportunity to contest the proposed action by the Executive Committee.
3.2 To the greatest extent possible, all the various elements of the Democratic Party and of the United States Democratic community in Philippines shall be represented within the organization.
3.3 The current list of members as maintained by the Secretary pursuant to Article VIII shall be delivered to the appropriate officers of the DPCA no later than January 30 of each year in such form and format as the DPCA shall from time to time require.
3.4 By becoming a member of Democrats Abroad Philippines each member of the organization consents to the delivery of his/her name, mail and e-mail addresses, telephone and fax numbers (as applicable) and U.S. voting district/State and other information contained on the membership list of the organization to the DPCA and to such lawful use thereof as the DPCA shall make from time to time. Membership in Democrats Abroad Philippines automatically results in membership in Democrats Abroad.
Cessation of Membership
4. Any member shall cease to be a member if he/she no longer meets the qualifications of a member. Any such former member may be reinstated on the same conditions as a new member.
5. The Officers of the organization shall consist of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer. The officers shall be gender-balanced and the Chairperson and Vice Chairperson must be of different genders.
6. The Chairperson shall be the chief executive officer of the organization , shall call and preside at all meetings of members and of the Executive Committee, and shall have responsibility for all activities approved by the organization. The Chairperson shall sit ex-officio on all committees of the organization, if committees are formed, with full voting privileges.
7. In the absence of the Chairperson, the Vice-Chairperson shall call and preside at meetings of members and of the Executive Committee. The Vice-Chairperson shall have such other duties as the Chairperson shall define.
8. The Secretary shall maintain a current list of members of the organization (containing the name, mail and e-mail addresses, telephone and fax numbers and U.S. voting district/State and such other information as the DPCA may from time to time require), minutes of all meetings, and all files and administrative records of the organization. All such records shall be open for inspection by members.
9. The Treasurer shall manage the finances of the organization, maintain its financial reports to members and make and maintain such financial reports as may be required by law (including without limitation the laws and regulations of the United States and the several States applicable to political parties and contributions to them). All such records shall be open for inspection by members.
10.1 The Executive Committee shall be composed or the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, and Treasurer elected from among the eligible members of the organization.
10.2 The Executive Committee shall meet at regular intervals upon call by the Chairperson, for the purpose of consulting with and advising the Chairperson in the administration of the organization. A meeting of the Executive Committee may be called by one-half of the Executive Committee.
11.1 The Chairperson may create one or more ad hoc committees, with such functions and responsibilities as he/she shall designate. These committees may include Membership/Voter Registration, Issues, Programs/Special Events, Fund-Raising and Newsletter/ Communications.
11.2 The Chairperson shall appoint and remove the chairpersons of the ad hoc committees subject to ratification by the members of the Executive Committee at the next meeting of the Executive Committee following such appointments or revocation. The membership of each ad hoc committee shall be selected by the committee chairperson after consultation with the Chairperson.
11.3 Meetings of all committees shall be open to all members of the organization.
12.1 The Chairperson may appoint and remove such assistant Officers or honorary Officers, having such duties as he/she shall designate, subject to ratification by the members of the Executive Committee at the next meeting of the Executive Committee.
12.2 Previously elected Chairs and Vice Chairs shall serve as honorary Officers and may be included as ex officio members of the Executive Committee upon such appointment by the Chairperson, subject to ratification by the members of the Executive Committee.
13.1 The Executive Committee Officers shall be elected every two years at the annual meeting of the organization (which meeting shall be held no later than March 31). They shall be elected for a term expiring upon the election of their successor.
13.2 The terms of all ad hoc committee chairpersons shall automatically expire upon the election of new Officers in accordance with the foregoing paragraph.
13.3 Any Officer who misses four consecutive regularly called meetings of the Executive Committee may be removed from office by a three-fourths vote of the entire Executive Committee at a regularly called and quorate meeting at which the question of such removal is on the agenda sent out in advance and at which the Officer is given due opportunity to explain the reasons for her or his absence.
Elections and Removal from Office
14.1 The Officers of the Executive Committee shall be elected by a majority of votes of the members voting at the annual meeting (or in the case of a vacancy, at the general meeting at which the election is held).
14.2 Any Officer of the Executive Committee may be removed from office by a vote of two-thirds of those present at a duly convened meeting of the membership.
15. Any vacancy among the Officers of the Executive Committee may be filled by special election held at any subsequent meeting of the members of the organization in accordance with Article XIV hereof. Until such vacancy is filled, the Chairperson may appoint at his or her discretion a member to fill the vacancy on a temporary basis. Any Officer elected at a special election shall serve only until the next regular election.
16.1 Notices of annual meetings, meetings at which elections will be held and meetings to amend these Bylaws shall be distributed at least 30 days before the meeting, by such method as the Chairperson shall reasonably prescribe. Notice of other meetings of members and of the Executive Committee shall be given by such method as the Chairperson shall reasonably prescribe.
16.2 These By-Laws may be amended by the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the members of the DAPH, present or represented at a regularly constituted meeting of the DAPH.
17.1 An annual meeting of members shall be held no later than March 31 of each year and shall act upon the following: (i) approval of the accounts and the report of the Chairperson and the Treasurer for the preceding calendar year, (ii) in election years, the election of the Officers of the Executive Committee, and (iii) such other business as the Chairperson shall deem appropriate.
17.2 Other meetings of the membership may be held from time to time upon call by (i) the Chairperson, (ii) one-half of the Executive Committee or (iii) 10% of the membership who request the holding of a meeting.
17.3 All meetings of the membership, the Executive Committee, and ad hoc committees (if any) shall be open to the membership and conducted in accordance with these Bylaws (including the provisions on notice).
17.4 Meetings of Democrats Abroad Philippines may be held in person, by telephone, videoconference, or such electronic means as the Executive Committee may from time to time unanimously approve.
17.5 For the purposes hereof, a quorum shall be determined as follows.
(i) for meetings of the membership, at least 8 members.
(ii) for meetings of the Executive Committee, and Standing Committee or any ad hoc committee, one-half of the members of such committee.
17.6 All meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the latest edition of Roberts Rules of Order.
Rules Applicable to the Committee
18. The functioning of the Committee shall be governed by (i) these Bylaws and such rules as the Executive Committee may from time to time adopt and (ii) the Bylaws of Democrats Abroad and the Charter and Bylaws of the Democratic Party of the United States and such rules and regulations as Democrats Abroad and/or the Democratic Party of the United States shall adopt from time to time. In the event of a conflict between (A) these Bylaws and the rules referred to in sub clause (i) of the previous sentence and (B) the documents, rules and regulations referred to in sub clause (ii) of the previous sentence, the documents, rules and regulations of such sub clause (ii) shall prevail.